Saturday, September 10, 2011

Maybe it was a Killiteracy monster

Another utopian folly: "Learning depends on reading as a practice of immersion in thought and feeling." In other words, where reading is to contribute to learning, it has to involve the intellect and the emotions.


That's a quote from Helen Vendler. Her utopian folly is laid out here.


How are we doing? "Since what is in place has failed notoriously to make our younger students eager to read, proficient in reading, and drawn to the conceptual world of learning, it is time, it seems to me, to try to generate a reading practice that will lead to a future for the humanities and all other advanced reading."


Not that we can't use video games for instruction. I dreamed last night that I was in a game that wouldn't let me kill a monster and advance until I'd read Moby Dick. In the dream, I really wanted to read Moby Dick. No monster was going to stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment